monday motivation – letting go
January 22, 2013
item, whether furniture, a book, or clothing, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I love it? If not, don’t keep it!
- Do I need it?
- Does it reflect who I am now in my life and who I want to be in the future?
- Does it act as an environmental affirmation for me? For example, do I feel uplifted and energized when I look at it? Or does it make me feel sad and depressed?
- What positive or negative emotions do I associate with it?
- Does it need to be fixed or repaired, and if so, am I willing to do so?
- If I were to move tomorrow, would I take it with me?
Letting go is not easy. We tend to cling to the old. But few things are as therapeutic as creating new, clear space—even if it’s just in your sock drawer.
I suggest that you copy the list above and keep it handy to help you decide what to keep and what to throw away. Better yet, get a friend or professional organizer to assist you and keep you on track. You’ll be so glad that you did.